Kemmie Obaditan has waived her anonymity as she fights for justice after allegedly being harassed by a University of Abuja lecturer while she was a student of the school in 2011.

Kemmie who is now based in Washington DC has launched a campaign against her former lecturer via an online petition.

According to Kemi, here is what happened;
On the 11th of December 2011, I was in my second year in the University of Abuja, Gwagwalada Nigeria.
I came into school that morning to write a Chemistry examination scheduled to hold that day at 9am. I got into the exam hall at about 8:00am just in case there was going to be a change in the venue and information regarding this examination.

The exam started at the time stated and while I sat in the hall assigned by my department for her students, Mr. Samuel Olorunfemi Adams came in to speak with the invigilator on duty while the answer booklet was being shared. He requested that half of the students should follow him upstairs to the main library where his own students who, at that time, were going to write a statistics course so he can shuffle us between them. Unfortunately, I was among those who had to move up with them. When I got upstairs I had a chair and did not have a table in the exam hall, hence I decided to go get a table.

By the time I returned with the table, Mr. Samuel Olorunfemi Adams refused my entry into the exam hall. I told him I was among the students he took from the hall downstairs to join his students. He was defiant and still refused for me to enter into the examination hall. I stood outside pleading that I get my answer booklet and examination card so I can go downstairs to go write my exams but he refused. My pleas fell on deaf ears until one of my colleague was able to help me pass my exam booklet and exam card to me. While I was begging him he lost his cool and pulled out his belt from his pants and began to flog me mercilessly.

While he was flogging me, my phone dropped (Blackberry Bold 2) worth N58.000. Mr. Samuel Olorunfemi Adams picked it up and said he was going to cease (seize) it after inflicting bodily injury on me. While I stood on the stairs crying, one of my lecturers saw me and he asked what happened. I told him all that had transpired between myself and Mr. Adams. He consoled me and took me to another hall to write my exams. The exams had passed an hour already. I was able to put myself together and I wrote my exams. After my exams, I went to Mr. Adams to get my phone and he said I would have to fill up an examination malpractice form if I was going to get the phone back.

I told him I did not set my eyes on the question paper prior to the incident so I cannot fill any form. Mr. Adams told me to take a last look at my phone and he smashed it on the ground to pieces. My colleagues who witnessed the incident gasped and he made sure he gave all of them -10 marks on their script. I ran downstairs to get my brother, so I could tell him what had happened to me. He came up with me to talk to Mr. Adams, but he had already gone ahead to report me to the Dean that I held him on his collar and I told him that if he did not let me into the examination hall that I was going to fight him.

By that time, I was summoned to the Dean’s office, Mr. Adams and his supporters (lecturers) were there and the Dean never gave me a fair hearing rather she insisted I state what Mr. Adams had done to me on an examination malpractice form. I stood my ground and refused to fill out the form as I know I did not commit any malpractice. I was threatened and asked for my matriculation number by his colleagues and I was told I would never graduate from that school. That very day, I went to the National Human Rights Commission and I gave a statement and showed evidences of the scars and the pieces of my phone. Pictures were taken and Mr. Adams was summoned in after two weeks for questioning.

The following week, my Dad was in town and he accompanied me to school to speak with the Dean but she was not around. A fellow lecturer was apologizing on Mr. Adams behalf and begged my Dad to temper justice with mercy. My Dad wrote the school up copying the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor and the Dean of Student Affairs that he would like them to look into my matter.

I came into school on a Monday morning and I was told to report to the Deans office for an emergency meeting. In the meeting, there was the Dean, Head of department, Head of examinations and a few other lecturers. I was still not granted a fair hearing. Instead, I was told and I quote “We know you know people, and your Dad is well connected, but if you want to graduate in this school you cannot fight your lecturer and win. You have to drop this case. I walked out with tears in my eyes and my heart was heavy with much pain. I felt the school failed me, the women in the meeting failed me even with the obvious bruises I had on my body.

Afterwards, I did agree to drop the case because I wanted to graduate. Little did I know that my misery had just begun? Every day in that school was a living hell. I was always harassed, humiliated and dehumanized by Mr. Adams and his fellow lecturers. I became the cynosure for insult every time I passed by them. From that moment, my results became a mess. They failed me on all the exams I sat for that semester.

Mr. Adams is a threat to other students in that school as he is known for extorting money illegally so he would pass them, having sexual relationships with ladies and meting out unjust punishment on young men in the department. Hence, my reason for wanting to open up this case again.

Mr. Adams, If all I have stated is wrong I would like you to come forward and speak out. Justice must prevail! You continue to fail students, if they get on your bad side. You told me nothing can be done to you and I challenge you to present your case and let’s see if you will truly walk away as a free man.

“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world… Would do this it would change the earth”. William Faulkner.